Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yanuca sevusevu, Fiji

Ok so you are asking what the hell is a Yanuca (ya-new-tha) sevusevu (say-voo say-voo).
Yanuca is one of the islands I fish around and sevusevu is a gift of goodwill.
Here in Fiji all of the inshore reef systems are part of a village qoliqoli (ngoly ngoly). In other words it belongs to them.
So in order for me to fish on these reefs I need to go to each village where I want to fish and ask for permission, or perform a sevusevu.
This entails a bundle of yaqona and the Chief and/or the Turaga ni Koro, (village headman).
I present the yaqona to the Chief/headman and someone asks for permission for me to fish.
Some villages charge money and some do not. It all depends on the Chief.
It is a traditional custom and I have been doing it for over 10 years now.
It shows that you have respect for the Fijian customs.

Snap shot right after the ceremony.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

seoexpert said...


Fish off the shores of Canoe Lake or go out on the water in one of our rental boats. The lake is swarming with large torphy Pike and Walleye. Use your own favourite rod and tackle from home, or purchase all your needed supplies from our Lodge on site.Release your catch back into the waters for the next angler, or take your fish back to camp for a fresh meal.northhavenlodge